Friday, November 17, 2006

Ignatieff vs Harper & China

There are a lot of things that I dislike about what Harper is doing with respect to China and the diplomacy of trade and human rights. There is one good thing that can be said about Harper that cannot be said about Ignatieff is that at least Harper knows what he is supposed to say to Canadian electors about Human Rights. The quotation from Ignatieff, who I had a lot of hope for about 2 years ago, demonstrates a total amateurism that reminds me of the kinds of things I saw at the height of the Stockwell Day carnival.

There is a lot to criticise Harper on the China file. He didn't send Mackay to meet with their ambassador and he hasn't visited China himself. (Does anyone have a source for this, I heard it mentioned on a CBC radio interview with Dr Byers of UBC). In a world of symbols these things mean a lot. It is no wonder that China was not too willing to meet at APEC.

Ignatieff blasts Harper's 'megaphone' diplomacy with China
"Mr. Harper, I think, believes you can go to one of the greatest civilizations on earth, a superpower of the 21st century and give them a little lecture on human rights," Ignatieff told CBC News.
Hat Tip to: AC



Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Canadian Tar Heel said...

Hi,

Interesting blog.

I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment re Iggy's comment. Perhaps you might elaborate on why you dislike his comments.

Aside from that, I find your posts on Kyoto and NAFTA rather interesting. However, if I may provide some feedback, they only provide a taste. This reader, for example, would like more.